Whether you are decorating gifts for your new little during big-little week or looking for something else to craft for yourself, items with greek letters on them are sure to please! Here are a few ideas, and check out your local craft store for inspiration!
Picture Frame: Ah, the classic picture frame. A decorative frame that contains a cute picture of you and your little, best friend in another organization, or even a group of sisters is a great gift and addition to their room! I like using acrylic paint on the wooden frames you can find at Michaels. You can decorate the frame with your sorority colors, symbols, a saying…whatever you want to give it a personalized feel! This is a frame I painted for one of my best friends who is in another sorority: Love this quote, and I liked incorporating both our sorority colors and symbols!
Tie Blanket: This is a great big-little week gift because you can use your little’s favorite colors or even your sorority colors. I adapted my own tie-blanket even more by ironing on letters in one of my favorite fabrics. To make a blanket:
- Pick 1.5 to 2.5 yards of two different fleece patterns or solid colors; 2.5 yards will make the blanket perfect for a twin sized bed, while 1.5 is a good size for a throw blanket. Remember, the blanket will end up slightly smaller since you will be tying the fringes together!
- Lay the pieces on top of each other, the sides you want showing facing out. Clip them together with a few binder clips so they don’t move while you’re cutting
- Cut out a square about 3-4 inches from each corner.
- Next cut out slits - almost like a fringe - about 3 inches deep all the way around the fabric. Just make sure you cut through both piece of fabric so that you can tie them together. If the slits are too short, you won't be able to double knot them.
- Tie the matching top and bottom slits together into double knots all the way around the blanket.
Check out this website that goes a little more indepth on the instructions!
Here's my tie-blanket! I put letters on it using heat and bond.
Creed in a Frame: This is a nice present to give to a new member in your sorority family! I still have mine my Big gave me; it reminds me of the reasons why I joined the organization I did and the values that my sorority bases itself on. Of course, you could adapt this to a fraternity's creed or anything else important in the sisterhood/brotherhood.
You can make the creed itself as pretty or intricate as you want, and similar to the painted picture frame, you can use a hot glue gun and paint to decorate the frame! If you want to embellish on this craft, you can purchase a shadow box which you can decorate the inside with your sorority’s symbols, flower, colors, whatever you want! This one even has a picture frame attached and you can print off the decorated copy of your creed!
Good luck crafting!