Father’s Day is June 17th, and what better way to show your appreciation than cooking up a homemade meal (you can even team up with mom!)? One of my favorite dishes to cook is an applewood smoked bacon spaghetti – it’s easy and delicious. And for dessert, a chocolate cake. Each of these items takes less than an hour to make!
If anyone in your family is a vegetarian, all you have to do is take out the bacon in the pasta. For those who are gluten-free, buy gluten-free pasta and gluten-free flour for the cake!
Applewood Smoked Bacon Spaghetti
What you need (for families of 3-5):
2 boxes of spaghetti
1 3/4 sticks of butter
5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
Package of Applewood smoked bacon, chopped in small pieces
Ground black pepper
2 large cooking pots
1. Bring water to a boil in a pot and put the spaghetti in (this will cook as we cook the sauce)
2. Wash the spinach and put it in a strainer. We’ll come back to the spinach and pasta!
3. In a separate pot (this will be your sauce pot), put in a half of stick of butter and set the stove to medium low heat
4. Toss in the garlic. Stir continuously so it doesn’t burn!
5. Add the onions and tomatoes
6. Add salt (the amount depends on how salty you like your dishes; I put in about 1 teaspoon)
7. Bacon time – add the bacon
8. Turn up the heat setting to high
9. Secret ingredient! Mix in 1 1/2 tablespoons of honey.
10. Put the rest of the butter in
11. Ground some black pepper in (I put in about 1/2 teaspoon)
12. Tear some parsley by hand and add to sauce (amount varies on your taste)
13. Pour the boiling pasta onto the spinach in the strainer to blanch it (fun way to make sure pasta is cooked – throw it at the wall! If it sticks, it’s done)
14. Pour the spinach and pasta mix into your sauce pot.
15. Add a little more salt
16. Mix well
17. Serve and enjoy :)!
Simple Chocolate Cake
What you need:
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose (or gluten-free) flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degree
1. Grease and flour your pan (I used a Bundt cake pan)
2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt
3. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla
4. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of your mixer
5. Stir in the boiling water last (added too much water? Add a little more flour). The batter should be thin.
6. Pour evenly into your pan(s)
7. Bake 30 minutes in the oven. Stick a toothpick in the cake, if it comes out clean, your cake is done.
8. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely
9. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar and adorn with fresh fruits!