Now that we’ve all drooled over Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans in The Avengers, it’s time to look forward to summer movies filled with just as much action and adventure. I’ve prepared a list of summer’s must see movies (in order of release date), but we’ll have to wait and see which ones can sweep the box office like The Avengers did. Which summer movies are you most excited for?
10. Men in Black III (5/25); PG-13, 1 hour 46 minutes: Agents J and K are back! In this sequel, Agent J has to travel back in time and work with a young Agent K in order to save Agent K’s life and of course, the fate of the planet in this sci-fi adventure.
9. Chernobyl Diaries (5/25); R, 1 hour 30 minutes: Not for the faint of heart, this movie follows a group of six tourists exploring the city of Pripyat, the former home of workers of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor. Turns out, there’s definitely more than six people around. Directed by creator Oren Pelli of Paranormal Activity, you can bet this movie will have you jumping out of your seat.
8. Snow White and the Huntsman (6/1); PG-13, 2 hours 7 minutes: A twist on the classic Snow White story, this movie stars Charlize Theron as the evil Queen, Kristen Stewart as Snow White, and the studly Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman (unfortunately, his weapon of choice in this movie is not a hammer). The previews reveal some awesome special effects, although I’m a little indifferent toward Kristen Stewart playing Snow White.
7. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (6/8); PG, 95 minutes: The hilarious animals are back in an adventure taking them across Europe. The perfect cover? A traveling circus. Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Sacha Baron Cohen all lend their voices to this wonderful animated cast. Great for taking those kids you babysit over summer!
6. Prometheus (6/8); R, 2 hours 4 minutes: Charlize Theron is at it again, except this time she portrays an explorer discovering a clue to the origins of mankind. This eventually unleashes a crazy battle between humans and an extraterrestrial civilization. Who will win?
5. Rock of Ages (6/15); PG-13: Rock of Ages follows waitress Sherrie Christian (Julianne Hough) and busboy Drew Boley (Diego Boneta) whose romance is told through the hits of Def Leppard, Joan Jett, Journey, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Whitesnake, and more. The star-studded cast also features Russell Brand, Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Mary J. Blige, as well as Will Forte.
4. Brave (6/22); G: Being the Disney freak that I am, I am overly excited for this movie to come out. Brave is Pixar’s first fairytale movie set in Scotland. Merida, a skilled archer, fiery redhead, and daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor, is determined to prove her worth. After ignoring sacred age-old customs, Merida inadvertently causes controversy and chaos in the kingdom. When Merida turns to an eccentric witch for help, a curse is inflicted on her. She must now save the kingdom from the curse, and in doing so, discover the true meaning of bravery.
3. The Amazing Spider-Man (7/3); PG-13: Andrew Garfield (AKA Eduardo Saverin, co-founder of Facebook, in The Social Network) plays Peter Parker and his alter ego, Spider-Man, in this upcoming reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise. Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father’s former partner. Also, the gorgeous Emma Stone plays his love interest, Gwen Stacy.
2. Katy Perry: Part of Me (7/5); NR; Go behind the scenes of Katy Perry’s California Dreams tour in this 3D documentary-concert film. With hits like “Waking Up In Vegas” and “T.G.I.F.,” Katy Perry has become a pop sensation. If you like her music, you’ll definitely love this movie.
1. The Dark Knight Rises (7/20); PG-13: I know I said this was in order of release date, but this is also the #1 summer movie I’m excited for. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and Morgan Freeman will reprise their roles from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Anne Hathaway will play Selina Kyle and Tom Hardy will play Bane, two villains from Batman. The film will take place eight years after the events of The Dark Knight when Batman will have to fight Bane’s plans to destroy Gotham City. The Dark Knight Rises is intended to be the epic conclusion of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman film series.